Behold, children are a gift of the LORD,

Behold, children are a gift of the LORD,

Wednesday, September 12, 2012

Feeding a large family and not breaking the bank(recipes included)

I am having friends, family, and acquaintances, etc.. asking me all the time how we feed our family, about how we cut cost, what recipes we use and so on. So I am gonna try to cover the questions we get. Also we also welcome any suggetions or recipes you would like to share with our family. Ways we save is by growing a garden, raising our own hogs(this is mostly so we know what is in the meat we eat), also we raise our own chickens for eggs. My husband and sons hunt , so we have venison. I used to say I would never eat it but fixed right and it is awsome. We use coupons as much as we can and I shop sales although I could probably do better if I had more time to really go to different stores and shop. I have had some health issues lately so meals have been kind of crazy around here but I am getting back to being able to provide my family decent meals. I love meals I can throw in the crockpot or meals I can cook ahead of time and freeze. WE eat what most people eat we just have to cook more :) I recently find a wonderful recipe on pinterest( a awsome place to find ideas!!) for Chic Fil A chicken bites, This is something good for adults and children alike. WE all love Chic Fil A but it can get a bit expensive if we eat there much and also we have to drive a little to get to one. Here is the recipe for these if anyone is interested, since I want to give credit where credit is due I will just post the link to the site- http://iowagirleats.com/2012/03/01/chick-fil-a-bites-with-honey-mustard-dipping-sauce/comment-page-1/#comment-1045866 Also a great thing to make and freeze is our famous chicken casserole. We kind of make it different that we used to and use poppy seed. This freezes great and you can make extra ones to freeze so you can have some in the freezer for a go to meal or if you need to take a meal to someone. Here is the recipe for that- Boil chicken, shred it and mix with cream of chicken add salt and pepper. Spread the mixture in a casserole dish. Crush up Ritz crackers and sprinkle on top, add pieces of butter on top and sprinkle poppy seed on top. Then cook at 350 until done. If you are freezing do not cook, just pop in freezer and cook it when you are ready. I don't have specific measurements of each thing because it varies depending on how much you are making. Another thing that is great to freeze is breakfast casserole and hash brown casserole. These are things that are great for breakfast and also for a breakfast supper. Which is a great way to cut cost is have a breakfast for supper. If I can find roast for a good price(which I usually can at Ingles) that is something I like to make in the crock pot that everyone likes, you can also add carrots and potatoes to make it a hearty meal. I used to do ham alot because we could eat it for supper and the next day do sandwhiches but it has gotten so expensive in the store and we have already used up all we had from the hogs we killed last year, we will be slaughtering a few very soon. Breakfast Casserole ______________________ 6 slices of loaf bread(trim off the edges) 1/2 lb. grated sharp cheest( I just buy shredded cheese) 1 lb sausage (cooked and drained) 5 eggs 2 cups of milk Line bottom of 9X13 dish with bread and sprinkle cheese over bread. Crumble sausage over cheese. IN seperate bowl mix eggs and milk. Pour over cheese and bread. Refrigerate overnight or freeze if using at a later time. Cook at 350 for approx. 30-40 min. Since we homeschool we have to do 3 meals here a day. I kind of cook what goes along with the sales that week but sometimes I just sit and make a menu plan and get what I need. I also make stir fry (with the stir fry meat,green peppers, and onions)and put it in tortillas , it does not cost much and fills everyone up. Another way to cut cost is to go meatless but we do not do that much around here due to hubby has to have meat and I have growing boys :) Now that I am trying to stay away from bread as much as possible( which is super hard to do-try it and see!!) I am trying to think of other ideas but bread helps to fill in , we make our own yeast rolls and they are very inexpensive and would probably also freeze well. If you would like recipe let me know. Also just have started making our own mixes like all purpose mix to make bisquits and such and our own brownie mix as well as making our own granola. This post is getting quite long so I will finish it up but let me know what other questions you might want answered. Please leave me comments on ideas of how you cut cost or maybe your fave recipe.

1 comment:

Kelly L Boots said...

How do you make your own brownie mix? my kids love brownies!